Friday, February 4, 2011

Happy 100th post

Happy 100th post :-)  You've been reading my ramblings for 100 posts now.  Unless you don't count that one that wasn't really a post, then we are just at 99.  By the way, remember when I said I hit the tendon in my leg with a car?  I just reread that and saw that it said car.  That was most definitely supposed to say cart.  Cart cart cart.

It's weird how far I've come with running... When I was 15 I was hit by a car.  It hit my knees from behind, I flew up and my head smashed the windshield, I did a back flip and landed behind it on my elbows.  The impact messed up my knees, ankles and hips.  Bending back so fast broke my spine.  The windshield cracked my skull and the ground messed up my elbows and wrists.  I was a mess.  For four years I wasn't allowed to do anything.  I couldn't vacuum, ride my horse, play sports, run... anything requiring more movement then walking.  Most the time I couldn't sit or stand for more than a few hours.  My lover talked me into trying a chiropractor after trying everything else and it made a world of difference!!  From doing nothing I gained a little weight.  It drove me crazy so I started to run to lose weight.  It wasn't that bad, but I didn't really like it and it took me 45 minutes to do three miles.  I can do more than five in that time now.  Anyway, running wasn't that bad, but then I got engaged.  I got something called bride-orexia.  I'm being serious, this is a real thing.  I drove myself crazy!!  I wasn't eating much to lose weight, so of course I didn't have the energy to run.  Everytime I got on the scale I got a little crazier and would push harder and eat less.  Running was MISERABLE.  I absolutely hated it.  Before the wedding I ran 6 or 7 times a week.  After, I realized I really had a problem and needed to figure it out before I went insane.  I was running maybe once a week, every other week.  I have always wanted to do a marathon, so I put it on my resolution list this year.  I started looking up marathons just more out of curiosity than anything, and decided it was time.  I started running because I wanted to.  Because I can.  Because the four years I couldn't were really hard for me.  Because the year of doing it for a different reason was pointless.  It's only been a month, and I am in love!!  I think that's why most people hate running... they do it to lose weight.  Do it because you want to, because you can, to be healthier... and the weight comes off all by itself.  I won't allow myself to get on the scale, so I couldn't tell you the numbers, but I have never lost this quickly.  It took months to notice a difference before.  It's been one month and my bra is so loose it's uncomfortable.  I wore some leggings I got for Christmas last night that were so loose I had to hook them on my belly ring to keep them up.  Which was a bad idea, and only lasted five minutes... but you get the point.  Focus on something else, and what you aren't paying attention to will happen a lot faster.  Make it fun because it is amazing!!  You know, if you want to.  If not I fully support you sitting on the couch all day eating dorritoes because I get that too.  Nacho cheese dorritoes... mmm!!

It's funny, when I ran for the wrong reasons I couldn't bring myself to buy anything for running.  I am in love with my vibrams, my lover got me and iPod specifically for running, and I just placed a fabulous order with amazon loaded with running gear.  And I am THRILLED!!  Next week I will finally have my foam roller, a fanny pack, an armband for my iPod and some pink mace that clips onto my pants.  Super sweet!!  It's like Christmas!!

This might be real weird, but I am DYING to run a marathon just for fun on vacation.  26.2 miles through Hawaii on foot?  Yes please!!

My marathon buddy and I don't even call it running anymore.  It's partying.  When I get a text at 5:00 am asking if I want to party, it means let's go pound the pavement for a few hours.

Why do you run?  If you don't, why do you hate it?

3 comments:

Sara Bosler Castro said...

Can I just tell you that you are amazing!! You inspire me. I want to run a marathon! I've ran a couple of half marathons but not an actual marathon yet.
Ok, I've decided, when I'm done with school I'm running a marathon. Thanks for your example! Keep it up, you are seriously awesome!

Kara Lynn said...

Thanks for the sweet comment!! When do you finish school?? Maybe one day we could run one together :-)

Sara Bosler Castro said...

Ohh not until April 2012...ugh! But yes, that would be so fun to have you as a marathon buddy!