Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vegas

It's official.  I am doing this.  Well, not quite official.  I still have to convince Josh that it will be a blasty blast.  I'm hoping it won't be too difficult since he has a slight gambling problem.  Or so I hear.  I've never actually seen it since I've only been old enough to gamble for about 10.5 months.

I had a hard time signing up for this one for a lot of reasons.  I filled out the registration form at least 20 times just to close the window and start again five minutes later.  A few reasons:
I've been running for almost three years, but only seriously for a few months.  Which means since January I went from nothing, to TONS of running gear.  I've spent a lot of money on running lately and I'm a little scared it's becoming an addiction.  Besides that Josh thinks running is stupid so he thinks I'm wasting money.  But I think beer is stupid and we're always getting that too so... That's a lie.  I love me some cold Budlight but the diabetes does not agree so I stopped drinking.  Mostly. 
I think more than anything my husband knows me too well.  He knows that I get really excited about something, I'm the biggest fan, and then after a few months it's dead to me.  I get bored easy and change my mind a lot.  The one thing I haven't been like that with is him.  He's a lucky, lucky guy.  I'm sure he thinks running will be the same.  This is a valid fear and it very well could be.  But I don't want it to be that way.  Signing up for a run in December kind of means I HAVE to keep going.  Unless I want to die at mile three in front of a bunch of drunk people.
I think it's a little weird to sign up for more marathons before completing my first.  What if I hate it?  What if I do awful and can never show my face in the running community again?  Well this means I have to.  Even if I do horrible in Salt Lake, I don't think I should give up so easily.  I should at least give it one more shot.  Vegas baby.
So I have about eight months to convince my red head that this is a good idea.  I'll just tell him I did it all for him, it's all for the gambling and the beer.  And the M&M factory.  He doesn't even have to be at the finish line of this one if he doesn't want.  I'll slowly ease him into it so he doesn't get mad.  Maybe I'll tell him after I give him his birthday gift.  He turns 30 this year so it had to be GOOD and come July I might be known as the best wife ever.  I could burn the house down and he'd still tell me I'm a genius.  Probably not, but I can dream.  Plus, we've been talking about going to Vegas for at least two years.  I'm just giving it a happy little nudge.
I think what scared me the most about signing up for this is that Josh is always right.  But if you ever tell him I said that I'll break your knee caps.  So here's to still loving running a year down the road.

Speaking of loving running... I got back to it this morning and loved it!  Eight miles in 1:04:56.  I'll be rubbing my legs all day, but it was nice to have a good one after
Saturday.  I was scared I would be pist at running forever.  I even made a new friend at the gym today.  He's training for Ragnar and asked about my Vibrams.  He told me his hips and calves bother him and I told him about foam rollers too.  I'm getting pretty good and faking being a runner.  I'll consider myself a real one around noon on April 16.

No comments: