Wednesday, October 20, 2010

when you wish upon a star

Every time I see the first star of the night I think of the little poem you're supposed to say before you make a wish.  It runs through my head, and by the time I get to the wishing part I can't think of anything to wish for.  There are things that I want... but wishing on a star for a new purse seems like a waste of a wish.  And I am so happy with my life, it's hard to come up with anything significant to wish for.  Plus, it's like when somebody asks you what you want for Christmas.  Or dinner.  You have all these ideas of things you want that sound great, but when you are put on the spot they have somehow fallen out of your brain.  Everyone has these weird things too that they claim grants you a wish.  Like an eyelash on your cheek.  Or when the hands of the clock are both straight up at 12:00.  Birthday candles.  Or when the hour and minutes of the time are the same.  Like 10:10 pm.  We had just laid down in bed.  My husband wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead, then told me he loves me.  As he said it I noticed the clock said 10:10.  Without even thinking about it, before it had a chance to fall from my brain, I made a wish.  And it was just one word.  "This."  Because who could ever ask for more?  The love of my life's arms around me, his lips on my skin...  That's all I want.  Forver.

No comments: