Thursday, August 26, 2010

the right kind

When Josh and I first started dating I was working two jobs to pay my mortgage.
I worked 7 am - 10 pm Monday through Friday and 7 am - 7 pm on Saturday.
It was rough and we rarely saw each other.
Every person I went on even one date with offered to help pay my mortgage.
But only if I'd quit working so much and spend more time with them.
They were only trying to help, but that wasn't the kind of help I wanted.
I wanted to be strong, and independent.
I had to prove to myself that I could do this on my own, without anybody's help.
Josh never offered to pay. He never asked me to quit my job.
He did offer to help though.
He promised to be there for me if I needed someone.
He brought me dinner every night just to visit me.
He even took care of my six month old puppy.
It was the right kind of help. Exactly what I needed.
Someone who got that I still needed to be me, and needed to take care of myself.
He never selfishly complained that he didn't get enough of my attention.
He never made me feel bad for being gone.
He was just what I needed. My rock.

No comments: