Tuesday, December 21, 2010

choosing to be happy

I get e-mails sometimes of people saying that I either live in a dream world because nothing is perfect or that I am lying and hide all the bad pieces of my life.  Or I hear people say they hate blogs because nobody's life is as good as they make it seem.  My life really is this happy, but because I choose to be happy.  Yes, bad things do happen to me.  The world isn't made of marshmellows (wouldn't that be cool though??)  I had a horrible childhood.  I helped raised my two sisters, I got beat, and some other really bad things happened.  I learned to move on and not let the past ruin my future.  Sure, sometimes I get sad, but only for a minute because I realize how good things are.  I wouldn't take back any of those things either, because every single one of them made me who I am today.  And I love me.  I like the person that I am and the person I am becoming.
And no, my marriage isn't perfect.  We have our problems just like everyone else.  Like my husband snores and wakes me up.  But you know what, I elbow him in the face when I sleep and that wakes him up too.  I break things.  A lot.  But I fix it.  He spoils the end of about 80 percent of books and movies.  He rushes me which bugs the crap out of me.  I am always running late which bugs the crap out of him so he has to rush me.  I do stupid things like leave the hose on in the back yard and don't notice for six days.  Or leave the truck in drive because I am used to my stick shift.  He hates that mouth noises drive me crazy.  He makes mouth noises sometimes when he eats.  I am messy and leave things all over the house.  He is too nice and can't say no to people.
Everything isn't perfect, but sitting around complaining doesn't make it any better.  So blogging about it is pointless.  You learn to deal with things and not get mad.  Learn to love that your husband snores--don't just deal with it or it will always bug you.  I learned to love to lay in bed and listen to him snore.  It's the sound of him breathing, the sound of him living.  Put a happy spin on everything and you will be a lot happier.  Life is rough and nothing will ever be perfect.  But look beyond the imperfections and CHOOSE to be happy.  Choose to not let things bug you.  Only you can make yourself happy.  Happiness is a do-it-yourself kind of thing.  Happiness is in the little things.  Like melting peanut butter on toast after a horrible day... something so small is all it takes to cheer me up.

1 comment:

Enjoyin' Life said...

AMEN!! I totally agree with you, and those haters that just want to bring you down apparently don't have enough to do so they complain about things and dwell on things.

It's totally how you want to live your life. Nobodys life is 'perfect' but you can be uber happy in an 'unperfect' life. Because to you, all you see is the perfect things in your life. I have noticed going through the hings that i have gone through could make me bitter and not happy. But who wants to live that way, who wants to CHOOSE To live that way?! Not me and certainly not you. So love the haters and ignore their emails or texts or any other type of communication and keep being your happy self. We can outlive the haters any day because we CHOOSE to be happy.